Sunday, 22 March 2015

Revisiting VOID 1.1 UPDATED!

Hi!

Well I thought I would get things going with a bit of a peek at what I am hoping to do with my Void 1.1 project.

This was my first  encounter with Void and dates from 2000 when I got sent the first Battles With Miniatures by Ral Partha Europe as part of a larger parcel. I was intrigued enough to explore further and quite liked what I saw.


The original flyer had a one page blurb about the game with a bit of info about each faction and then lots of pics of the initial range of figures too. It was rather reminiscent of a cross between Kryomek and Warzone which was not too surprising as all three games were developed by the same team. The vivid colours and move away from large forces to skirmish size games also reminded me of 2nd edition 40k, a game which had recently been gutted and changed so much with the introduction of more Grimdark and ever larger army requirements.

This, combined with the bright, almost manga artwork really struck a chord with me and I decided to have a bash at collecting an army.

Brood with Blade and Battleshields

 Brood with Heavy Blades

 Larvan with assorted weapons

Phazon with Staff

I duly bought up a couple of squads of Koralon brood and a Phazon which were soon joined by some Larvan and eventually some of the big guys but I never played a game despite eventually having fully painted Koralon, Syntha and VASA armies. Sadly, these armies were consigned to Ebay many moons ago when I went off to university in the great cull but I did keep my books and from time to time would have a peruse as the background was worthy of further investigation and the rules were solid and unlike many of the other games I had looked at, had obviously been well playtested.

Now move forward to 2015 and here I find myself looking at the books again. I cant help but feel there is a great opportunity to develop the setting and crack on with fleshing out the forces a bit. I have rummaged around my bits box and have come up with several options. Firstly I can stay true to the original game and only use figures from it, I can incorporate some of the newer, darker stuff or I can pull in stuff from wherever I fancy to create a more light, slightly harder scifi sort of setting than it eventually became.

Similarly, I could cheat a bit and convert it to 15mm scale. This option is really tempting me (I settled on it for my KRYOMEK project as its all about large scale battles) especially as I really don't have the money or time to spare on collecting and painting lots of 28mm scale stuff. For example, I currently manage about 1-2 28mm scale figures a week if I am lucky while in 15mm scale, I can do 2-3 a day to an equally high standard.

The problem is with this option, Void has quite a few unique looking figures, not least stuff like the VASA Archangels:


Still, I think that I can make a go of it and will see what I can come up with today and post a quick update tomorrow with my findings!

Till then, All the best!

UPDATE!

I have sat down this afternoon with a few Syntha Androsynths to paint and am quite pleased with my progress with them so its looking like Project Void 1.1 is going to be in 28mm scale!

All the best!

2 comments:

  1. The Archangels were, and still are amazing sculpts. Simple yet evocative and graceful. Some of my favourite sculpts of all time I think.

    Good luck with the project, I'll be eagerly following your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      Thanks for the comments! I must admit that the VASA stuff is what tipped me from the proxy 15mm option into proper 28mm goodies!

      I am going to be adding some more updates over the next day or two with some Syntha background too.

      All the best!

      Delete